Sunday, February 11, 2007

VEGAN SUNDAY BREAKFAST, "CHICKEN" TACOS, AND OTHER GOODIES

Best Blog Tips
Sunday breakfast, vegan-style, with Lightlife "Gimme Lean" "sausage" patties

Well, I guess it was inevitable that I get one of those boxes of goodies from Lightlife to try out and report on on this blog. (I am going to be totally candid about my reactions, BTW!) I have tried some of the Lightlife products, but they are no longer available in my area. After trying some of the products, I am going to ask my HFS to get some of them back!

Our favorite was the "Gimme Lean" Sausage Style

which I was afraid might be kind of dull, like many vegan "sausage" brands. It's low in fat, has a great texture, and actually a very nice flavor. If you want it spicier, the great thing is that you can squeeze it out of the tube into a bowl and knead in some spices and/or herbs, then form it easily into patties. Otherwise, just slice it like I did, with a sharp serrated knife.



I cooked the patties in a nonstick skillet with a small amount of Chinese (dark) sesame oil for a smokier flavor.



With hashbrowns, browned onions and apples, whole wheat sourdough toast, and tofu scramble, and accompanied by one of my husband's great soy cappuccinos (made with my homemade soymilk!), it was a great meal!



Previous to that breakfast, we'd tried the Organic Smoky Tempeh "Fakin' Bacon" Strips with a similar meal.



I was not sure how DH would receive these because he doesn't really like tempeh, but, surprise, surprise, he really liked them! They don't get really crispy unless you use alot of oil (and I cooked them in just a little dark Chinese sesame oil in a nonstick skillet, as I did with the sausage patties), but we still liked them. Very nice flavor.



On Friday, my husband tried the Smart Chili for lunch, and saved me some to taste later. It was surprisingly spicy (pleasantly so-- I thought it would be under-spiced), hearty, and low in fat, but a little on the sweet side. But it would make a good quick meal if you are really on the go.



Today for lunch, we tried the Smart Strips Chick'n Strips.



I wasn't as enthusiastic about these. I thought they were too salty, and a bit on the thick side. I rinsed them and drained them, but they were still pretty salty. However, they were pretty good in a "chicken" taco, cooked in my homemade Red Chile Paste (see below) (you could use your favorite taco seasoning).



I used commercial taco shells, Tofu Sour Creme, grated vegan cheeze, commercial tomato salsa, and shredded Savoy cabbage (didn't have any lettuce). They were quite tasty!



Printable Recipe

BRYANNA'S RED CHILE PASTE FOR TACO FILLINGS
From my book "Soyfoods Cooking for a Positive Menopause".

Mix in a food processor until smooth:

1/2 c. good-quality chile powder
7 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. dried red chile pepper flakes
enough vegan bouillon (cubes, powder or paste) for 4 cups liquid (preferably "beefy" style)
1 T. EACH olive or Chinese sesame oil, flour, Marmite (or other yeast extract), water, and salt
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 tsp. EACH dried oregano and ground cumin

Store in the refrigerator indefinitely in a covered jar.

(FOR WHEAT-FREE, omit flour and use 2 tsp. rice flour.)

HOW TO USE THE PASTE:

Mix each Tablespoon of paste with about 1/4 cup of water. This would be enough for one package of the strips. Saute or steam-fry a small minced onion. Add whatever you are using for filling ( crumbled firm frozen tofu, veggie hamburger, veggie strips, etc.) and the dissolved paste and stir around until it is absorbed. It's pretty spicy!

Have fun!

5 comments:

thephnee said...

Hi Bryanna,

The foam on your cappuccino is oh so tempting, and I share your fondness of the Gimme Lean "sausage" patties. They used to make a "beef" variety that made cheaper and healthier burgers than the pre-made brands, but I can't seem to find it any longer.


And speaking of vegan meats, I'm here to thank you for the great success of my friend's birthday dinner party last night.

I wanted to make her a large roast despite my bad experience with "Tofurky" type things in the past, so I have to say I was rather timid when I started making your Soy and Seitan "Turkey" roast"!

Well, I've gotten nothing but huge compliments for your recipes in the past and this was no exception. We had it topped with a simple rosemary-miso gravy and every single person (we were a dozen)absolutely loved it.

Thank you for creating consistently scrumptious recipes!

-Daphne.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thanks for writing, Daphne! They do still make the "beef" variety-- I made "meatballs" with it a couple of times and they turned out well (added a little breadcrumbs and some herbs).
here's the page on their website;
http://lightlife.com/gimmeleanbeef.html

They have a "store locator" page on their website, too. Cheers!

harlemgrrl said...

the gimme lean sausage style is also extra yummy added to stuffing ;0)

Anonymous said...

Bryanna,

Is the Gimme Lean Sausage in the refrigerator or freezer section?

Dori has mentioned this product in a couple of recipes and I would like to try it, but have been unable to find it (I've found alot of other Light Life products ... )

Thanks .... Brenda

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Brenda, it's in the refrigerator section, I'm pretty sure. Maybe ask your HFS if they can carry it.